Foodie Blogroll

Friday, November 12, 2010

My first experience of Momos


Momo is the street food of Sikkim and Darjeeling region of the Himalayas in India.
During my family’s visit to Sikkim and Darjeeling, we had visited a tea garden located on the road side, on the way from Sikkim to Darjeeling.  There was a small tea stall along the tea garden. 

            The owner of tea stall was preparing momos on a bamboo basket which he had placed in a steamer. The steamer was on a stove made from mud and he was burning coal and wood under the stove to keep it hot. The momos were both vegetarian, filled with freshly shred cabbage, as well as non vegetarian, served with garlic-mustard sauce and tomato sauce. They  were piping hot and very delicious.

            It was a truly  memorable experience. To be able to savour the scintillating scenery, the fresh morning air, being surrounded by the majestic peaks of the grand Himalayas covered with lush green tea gardens: it is an experience of a life-time. And to enjoy freshly prepared delicious and hot momos, that is one of the rarest treasures that I have witnessed.


          I would like to share the recipe of momos with you; however the filling is quite different from what I had eaten. I have tried to give it a tangy twist in my version of Momos.  If you like it, do let me know.


Momos with tomato sauce

No comments:

Post a Comment